Tuesday, October 11, 2011

DSDN 171 - Blog Assignment 8


When Meyer argued that ‘design [is] synonymous with man made things and [is] a product of “function x economy” ’ in chapter 9 of ‘The “First Machine Age” in Europe’ I felt like I disagreed. I then thought about the statement more and realised that it has some truth to it. I now agree with Meyer when he says that because many things that are around today are there in the standard, and with the functions they have, to help us do things based on the current economy and needs of the targeted audience.

I think design today can be both an art and a science. There is no rule that design is there to make art and art only, or that design has to be scientific. Design can contribute to both art and science. Take for example the iPhone 4. I have mentioned it in another post previous to this but I think it a good example of something that is well designed and looks nice, but could not have been achieved without science.



References:




No comments:

Post a Comment